Clerk's Office

In addition to providing secretarial support to Council, the Clerk’s Office oversees customer service, records management, registration of vital statistics, documents of authority, repository of tenders, municipal elections, municipal investigations and more.  To learn more about the Clerk's duties relating to the Code of Conduct for Members of Council, the Closed Session Investigator or the Integrity Commissioner, please visit our page on Transparency and Accountability.

Services most commonly requested from the Clerk’s Office include:

Marriage Licences

The County issues Marriage Licences to couples who are getting married in Ontario, and also offers Civil Ceremonies. A Marriage Licence is valid for three (3) months from the date it is issued.

To be eligible for a marriage licence, the couple must meet the following requirements:

  • Age Minimum – You must be at least 16 years of age to be married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years old, you will need written consent from your parents or legal guardians. Consent forms are available at the Clerk’s Office.
  • Divorced in Canada – Official proof of the divorce must be submitted when you apply for a marriage licence. Proof includes the original certificate of divorce, a Decree Absolute, or a certified copy of the divorce certificate from the Court who issued the divorce.
  • Divorced Outside of Canada – If you divorced outside of Canada, further information is required. Please contact the Prince Edward County Clerk’s Office well in advance of the planned date of marriage for more information, or visit
  • Identification – Only one applicant is required to obtain a marriage licence as long as both parties have signed the fully completed Marriage Licence Application, and provide two acceptable (original) pieces of valid, government-issued identification for each party. One piece of identification must include your photo. Examples of government-issued identification include:

         ο  Government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
         ο  Valid passport
         ο  Record of immigrant landing
         ο  Canadian citizenship card
         ο  Valid driver's licence
         ο  Valid Ontario photo card

  • Marriage Licence Fee is $125.00 (cash or debit)

How to Apply for a Marriage Licence

  • Review the Marriage Licence requirements listed above and here.
  • Download, print and complete the Marriage Licence Application Form.
  • Use your civic (911) address on the form rather than a P.O. Box number.
  • Ensure both applicants sign and date the fully completed form
  • Bring your fully completed form in person to the Clerk’s Office located at Shire Hall between the hours of 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday to Friday, with your completed and signed Marriage Licence Application form, two pieces of original valid I.D. (as noted above) for each applicant, original or certified copy of divorce document(s), if applicable, and payment of $125 (cash or debit).

Before You Get Married

Couples need to check that the person performing the marriage is an authorized official registered with the Province of Ontario. The attached form provides information to persons considering marriage in the Province of Ontario to assist in this respect‌. Service Ontario Marriage Notice   

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

The County of Prince Edward generally offers civil marriage ceremonies on the second and fourth Friday of each month, between the hours of 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm (subject to availability).

Services take place in the Council Chambers at Shire Hall. The fee for this service is $250.00 (plus H.S.T.) and is payable at the time of booking. Please note that the $250 fee does not include the Marriage Licence fee of $125.00. You can find more details in our Civil Marriage Information Package‌.

Lottery Licence

Eligible charitable and religious organizations may be licenced under the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) to raise funds through municipally licensed lottery events.

Municipally-Issued Lottery Licences:

  • Raffles with prizes up to $50,000
  • Bingos with a prize board up to $5,500
  • Break Open Tickets
  • Lottery Events at a Bazaar
  • Stub or Elimination Draws
  • Calendar Draws
  • Rubber Duck Race
  • Meat Spin/Turkey Roll
  • Blanket Raffle Licence

All other types of Lottery Licences are issued by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

Your organization may be eligible for a municipally-issued lottery licence if it:

  • Has been in existence for at least one year;
  • Has provided charitable community services consistent with the goals and activities of the organization for at least one year in Ontario;
  • Proposes to use the proceeds for charitable programs and services that benefit the County and its residents; and,
  • Assumes full responsibility for the conduct and management of the lottery event. 

Please note that individuals are not eligible for a lottery licence and organizations conducting bingo must provide a minimum of 3 bona fide members. 

To obtain a municipally-issued lottery licence, an organization is required to comply with the Terms and Conditions as set out in the Lottery Licensing Policy Manual.

Applications for municipally-issued lottery licences require:

  • A completed application form (available online or print copies are available at the Clerk’s Office);
  • Proof that your organization has been in existence for 1 year;
  • Proof of a special lottery  trust account;
  • Your organization’s Articles of Incorporation, Mandate, Mission Statement, listing of Board of Directors (with contact information), and any other information the Municipal Clerk; and,
  • List of charities that may be approved to benefit from lottery proceeds (It is the organization’s officers conducting a lottery scheme to ensure they are aware of, and comply with, the Terms and Conditions.

Lottery Application and Report Forms

Below, you can find a list of links to the most popular lottery applications and report forms. A full list of charitable lottery applications and reporting forms can be found on the AGCO website's Forms Page

Application to Manage and Conduct a Blanket Raffle Lottery

‌Blanket Raffle Lottery Report Form

Application to Manage and Conduct a Raffle Lottery

Raffle Lottery Licence Terms and Conditions

Raffle Lottery Report Form

Application to Manage and Conduct a Bingo Lottery

‌Bingo Lottery Report Form

‌Break Open Ticket Licence Application

Break Open Ticket Lottery Report Form

Certification of Original Documents

The Clerk’s Office is able to certify original records such as Marriage Certificates, Birth Certificates and more. To have original records certified, bring original, legible document(s) to the Clerk’s Office, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. There is a fee of $16.95 per document (cash or debit, accepted).

Freedom of Information Requests

Requests for information can be made by simply contacting the appropriate department within the municipality, and asking for the desired information. If the information is not available, a formal request can be made under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the Act) using the Access to Information Request Form.

The Clerk’s Office is responsible for the administration of the Act, including receiving and processing access requests on behalf of the County, providing advice to administration, serving members of the public and helping to ensure that the privacy requirements of the Act are met. For more information and frequently asked questions, click Accessing Municipal Information.

Commissioning of Oaths and Affidavits

An affidavit is a declaration or statement of facts, confirmed by the oath of the party making the affidavit. Affidavits are generally used to establish legal rights and can be used for vehicle transfers, pension forms, custody documentation, travel outside of Canada, identity, common law, OSAP and more

The Province of Ontario empowers Municipal Clerks to take various types of declarations, to certify documents, and to administer oaths. A Commissioner’s stamp is affixed to the document once the oath has been taken and signatures have been witnessed.

To have an oath or affidavit commissioned, visit the Clerk’s Office located at Shire Hall and have with you current government issued photo I.D. and payment of $16.95 per document (cash or debit).

Please note:  If you require the signature of a Notary Public, you will need to contact a lawyer.

For more information on oaths and affidavits, visit the Ministry of the Attorney General.

Deputations to Council

A deputation is a citizen or group who wishes to make a presentation to council on matters of municipal business. 

There are several opportunities to address Council. To learn more, we invite you to download our brochure, Guidelines for Deputations

It is suggested that prior to addressing Council, you discuss your concerns/issue with a staff member.  Some issues may be resolved at the staff level, or at the very least, staff can advise you of the next step toward resolving your concerns.

To register for a deputation, you must contact the Clerk's Office four full working days prior to a meeting, and provide the following information:

  • your complete name, address, telephone number and/or email address;
  • written copy or summary of your remarks;
  • copy of any supporting material; and,
  • PowerPoint or electronic presentation (if using).

If you have any questions about an agenda or meeting, or if you are interested in appearing before Council as a deputation, please contact the Clerk's Office at 613.476.2148 ext. 1020 or

Appointments to Municipal Committees, Boards or Commissions

The Clerk's Office oversees the administration of citizen appointments to municipal committees, boards and commissions. To be eligible to serve on a municipal committee, board or commission, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age;
  • Reside in the County of Prince Edward or own property in the County of Prince Edward. 

Some boards and committees have more specific eligibility requirements.  

All available positions on municipal committees, boards and commissions will be advertised on the website and in local papers.

For more information or to apply for an available position, please download the Application for Appointment to a Committee/Board/Commission

Municipal Elections

The Clerk is appointed the Municipal Returning Officer under the Municipal Elections Act and is responsible for the administration and management of the Municipal Elections every four (4) years. Accordingly, the Clerk's Office is involved in accepting nominations of candidates running for office, preparing voters' lists, preparing ballots, selecting staff and certification and distribution of Election results.   

Please visit our Municipal Elections page for information about the 2018 municipal election results.