Here for our Community….
Every day hundreds of people work behind the scenes to keep Prince Edward County running. We are profiling a few of the people that are ‘here for our community.’ We continue the series by featuring County Transit and Betty Best, a long-time driver.
The need for public transit
In 2013 The County Foundation’s Vital Signs report indicated that getting around The County was a challenge for many when it came to gaining access to services, recreation, education, jobs, housing, and food.
As a result, The County and The County Foundation worked closely to develop an integrated plan to expand public transportation and, in 2020, the municipality engaged Quinte Transit to provide fixed route and flex route for its residents. A dedicated bus was purchased and The County branded its transportation services as “County Transit” provided by Quinte Transit.
County Transit provides services for all ages, transporting people for various needs, from getting to The County for work or going to Belleville to shop, visit loved ones in a seniors home, or catch the train at the VIA Rail station. Residents are loving it and ridership is increasing.
County transit drivers are special people
We asked Betty Best, a County Transit driver and also a County resident, about her experience and why she loves driving bus.
“I have driven a bus for Quinte Transit since 2008. Having grown up in Prince Edward County I know a lot of people and I love meeting people. It is very rewarding to be able to provide this valuable and affordable service to those who may not be able to get around otherwise.
“We serve many people for many different reasons. Some need to get to school, work, shopping or medical appointments. Some people do not have a licence or cannot drive or may not have a car, so this service is beneficial to them. I love driving bus, and it is so great to see the service expanding in Prince Edward County.”
Exciting new opportunities with County Transit
Summer 2022 will see County Transit’s regular services continue with some exciting new opportunities to ditch the car and take the bus!
- Daily Round Trip Fixed Route Service from Belleville to Picton, Monday to Friday and open to everyone. Call to book your ride.
- Daily Flex Route (on-demand) Service Door to Bus Stop. Monday to Friday and open to everyone. Call to book your ride.
- Daily Flex Route (on-demand) Specialized Service (Must Qualify). Call to book your ride.
- Saturday and Sunday Sandbanks Summer Run in July and August. Call to book your ride.
- Weekend Dinner Runs (nine per night) between Picton and Wellington/Wellington and Picton, June 17 to October 9, 2022 on Friday and Saturday starting at 5 pm with last pickup at 10 pm. $5 cash per person each way. Call to book your ride.
We hope you give County Transit a try this summer. Let us know how you make out and help County Transit keep our community on the move.
To book your seat contact County Transit provided by Quinte Transit at 613.392.9640 or 1.855.283.9640, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the County Transit online.