October 10, 2023
A public information meeting hosted by the Base31 developer and its agents will take place on Wednesday, October 25 at 7 pm at the Prince Edward Community Centre (375 Picton Main Street). Doors will open at 6:30 pm so that attendees can view the presentation material before the presentation.
The County has received from the developer an application (file number OPA-04-23) for an Official Plan amendment.
The subject lands are located in the south-east corner of Picton. They are bordered to the west by a steep escarpment leading to Marsh Creek, to the north by the communities known as Picton Heights and the Macaulay Mountain Conservation Area, to the east by Clarke Road, and to the south by a wooded slope that leads to County Road 10.
The applications would:
- Amend all schedules and maps of the Official Pan and Secondary Plan to support the proposed development
- Amend Schedule E of the Official Plan to remove the airport symbol and reflect the proposed road network of the lands
- Amend Schedule F of the Secondary Plan Service Areas Map of the Picton Urban Centre Secondary Plan within the Secondary Plan to redesignate the entire site as “Service Area 1” from “Service Area 3”
- Amend section 2.5 Mixed Use Areas of the Picton Urban Centre Secondary Plan to:
- Amend the preamble language that describes the Mixed Use Areas to include the site
- Add an additional Mixed Use Area category as 2.5.4 Base31 Development Area.
The effect of the amendment will be to facilitate the development of a 304 hectare (750 acre) parcel of land for a destination arts and cultural commercial hub within the Revitalization District, an interconnected open space network, and a range of residential, non-residential, and cultural opportunities on full municipal services within the Picton-Hallowell Urban Area.
In addition to this application, this public meeting will also address a request by Council to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing to approve Base31 under the Community Infrastructure and Housing Accelerator (CIHA) program.
This public meeting is an information meeting only. Public information meetings are held as part of the updated planning application process approved in 2021.
At the public information meeting, the proponent/agent will present the proposal. If any member of the public would like to ask questions or make comments, they will be able to do so after the presentation by the applicant.
The statutory public meeting required under the Planning Act will be a Planning Committee meeting and would only be held after the public information meeting and when the assigned County planner has completed an analysis of the project.