The County of Prince Edward is providing the following updates.
Roads and sidewalks
- The significant weather event declaration remains in effect. During a significant weather event declaration, residents are advised to use extra caution as the municipality may not be able to meet its maintenance standards for roads and sidewalks.
- All primary roads are cleared; all secondary roads with houses on them have been plowed at least once. Crews are still working at Caughey Road, Allison Road, and a small portion of Mallory Road to open them completely.
- County Road 5 between County Road 34 and the industrial park will be closed until approximately 1 pm on December 27 to allow for road widening.
- Highway 62, a provincially maintained road, is reduced to one lane at Mountain View due to drifting snow accumulation. Drivers are advised to drive with caution or avoid the area if possible.
- Main sidewalks in town and villages have been cleared. Crews continue to work to clear secondary sidewalks.
- The municipality has removed abandoned vehicles that were impeding the flow of traffic. Call Unique Towing at (647) 390-9909 or Shantz Towing 613.476.2517 to arrange retrieval of your vehicle. If your vehicle is in the ditch, you are responsible for arranging a tow service to remove it.
Garbage and recycling
- Curbside garbage and recycling collection have returned to regular schedule as of Tuesday, December 27 on roads that are passable. If your garbage is not collected by the end of day on December 27, please bring it inside and put it out the following week. You can also drop it off at a landfill and transfer site. There is no extra charge for missed tagged bags that are brought to the landfill and transfer sites.
- Waste collection did not occur on Snider Road and Badgley Road on Friday, December 23 due to downed trees blocking the road. Residents on those roads can put out the double amount of garbage on Friday, December 30.
- The Picton waste site will be open on Wednesday, December 28. All landfill and transfer sites will operate normal hours on New Year’s Eve, Saturday, December 31.
- You can help Prince Edward County Fire and Rescue by clearing snow from around fire hydrants on your property. Doing so will ensure the fire department will be able to quickly fight a fire at your house or your neighbour’s.
Both the Wellington and District Community Centre and the Prince Edward Community Centre are open on Tuesday, December 27.
- Public skating: 3-5 pm
- Shinny hockey: 5-6:30 pm
- Public skating: noon – 1:30 pm; 4:30-6 pm
- Shinny hockey: 4:30-6 pm