The Audit Committee has responsibility to promote an appropriate environment for the management of public funds and a high level of accountability. The Committee will assist Council in fulfilling its due diligence, fiduciary, financial reporting and audit responsibilities and to approve, monitor, evaluate and provide advice on matters affecting the external audit, internal audit, risk management and the financial reporting and accounting control policies and practices of The County.
The goals and purpose of the Audit Committee are to advise and make recommendations, when necessary to Council on the following:
- Provide advice on the appointment of the external auditor;
- Review the annual audit planning report;
- Review the annual audited financial Statements from the external auditor and make recommendations;
- Receive an update from the external auditor on the annual audit findings report, annual financial statements and report as needed to Council;
- Monitor recommendations or findings brought to the Audit Committee’s attention by the external auditor through the audit findings report or otherwise;
- Review proposed changes to financial control and related policies, accounting control policies and practices;
- Review projects and provide advice to council on special projects assigned by Council;
- Oversight of the effectiveness of the internal control environment;
- Risk management; and
- Oversight of the effective and efficient use of resources.
- Four (4) members of Council; and
- One (1) public representative.
- Mayor Steve Ferguson
- Councillor Steward Bailey
- Councillor John Hirsch
- Councillor Phil Prinzen
- Councillor Phil St-Jean
- Wilma Vreeswijk
- Municipal Auditor – external resource
The Audit Committee shall meet no less than quarterly, and more frequently at the discretion of the Chair.
Meetings or a portion thereof may be held in closed session if authorized under the Municipal Act.
If you have any questions about the Audit Committee, contact the Clerk’s Office at email@example.com or call 613.476.2148 ext. 1020.