Cemetery Advisory Committee
The Cemetery Advisory Committee will provide input and expertise to Council on the active (open for sales) and pioneer (no longer open for sales) cemeteries under the management of the Municipality of Prince Edward County.
The Committee will promote the heritage of local cemeteries and be guided by the provisions and regulations of the Cemeteries Act, as amended, and the Funeral, Burial and Cremations Services Act, as administered by the Bereavement Authority of Ontario.
The goals and purpose of the County of Prince Edward Cemetery Advisory Committee are to:
- Make recommendations to Council on matters related to the Committee’s mandate;
- Manage the sale of plots and business decisions of the cemeteries in a cost-effective manner;
- Seek grants and donation opportunities for cemeteries under the management of the municipality;
- Promote the rich historical heritage of the active and pioneer cemeteries under the management of the municipality;
- Advocate for the preservation and maintenance of local cemeteries;
- Support special projects of the cemeteries;
- Recommend policies and practices related to cemetery operations; and
- Provides input as required on cost analysis, tendering, financial management and yearly budgets.
- One (1) member of Council.
- Four (4) public representatives appointed by Council for the term of Council or until reappointed, all of whom should have demonstrated interest in matters pertaining to cemeteries.
- One representative from Wellington Cemetery.
- One representative from Glenwood Cemetery.
- Mayor is an ex officio member of the committee.
- Councillor Mike Harper
- Sandy Latchford (Chair)
- Eleanor MacDonald
- Helma Oonk
- Benjamin C. Thornton
- Gerald Zwart
- Paul Greer
The Cemetery Advisory Committee shall meet no less than four (4) times per year, and more frequently at the discretion of the Chair.
The meeting, agenda, and minutes will be available to the public, on the municipal website. Members of the public may participate electronically as requested, in accordance with the Procedural By-Law.
If you have any questions about the Cemetery Advisory Committee, contact the Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613.476.2148 ext. 1020.