Commemorative Street Name List
The County is developing a Commemorative Street Name List that developers will choose from when naming streets.
Thank you to everyone who submitted suggestions for possible street names. The County received a total of 265 submissions!
The Street Naming Task Team will review every submission and conduct necessary research to validate the cultural relevance to Prince Edward County.
A draft list will be presented to the Built and Cultural Heritage Advisory Committee for their approval. Once approved by the Committee, the list will be sent to Council for their final ratification.
- The Street Naming Task Team will review every submission and conduct necessary research to validate the cultural relevance to Prince Edward County.
- The Built and Cultural Heritage Advisory Committee will review the Street Naming Task Team’s draft Commemorative Street Name List.
- Early 2024 – Council to ratify the Commemorative Street Name List
- August 17, 2021 – Staff Report – Development Services: Naming of Streets/Roads in New Developments
- May 9, 2023 – Staff Report – Corporate and Legislative Services: Street Naming Task Team Terms of Reference
- Street Naming Task Team Terms of Reference
- Commemorative Street Naming Policy
- The County Strategic Plan 2023-2026
- PEC Master Street Name List (Names in Use)
- Cenotaph Names
Submissions that will be approved for the Commemorative Street Naming Reserve List will fall into at least one of the following categories:
County resident who has served in the Canadian Armed Forces or who has lost their life in public service.
Local individuals/families who made a significant social, political or cultural contribution to the County.
Commemorating local Indigenous persons, organizations, places, events or culture.
Historical significance at a regional, provincial or national level. Priority shall be given to themes with local significance.
Recognizing local native wildlife, flora, fauna or natural features.
Proposed street names with the following characteristics will be discouraged for approval:
- Discriminatory, racist, or derogatory names
- Names of individuals known for discriminatory behaviour and/or beliefs
- Names seen as advertising for a business or for commercial purposes
- Names with undesirable definitions or those pronounced or spelled similar to those with undesirable definitions (including names with sexual overtones, inappropriate humour and slang)
- Names already assigned to existing streets and park facilities in the County, or names with similar spelling or pronunciation to an exisiting street name