Prince Edward County Municipal Services


Find the info you need on relocating, starting or expanding your business in Prince Edward County.


Explore what Prince Edward County has to offer for residents and visitors alike.




The municipality has introduced regulations for short-term accommodations that aim to:

  • Protect the character, amenities and quality of existing residential neighborhoods.
  • Create a level playing field for all STA operators and enhance consumer protection.
  • Ensure STAs provide occupants with a safe and healthy dwelling space.
  • Foster market-driven growth of STAs in appropriate areas and in appropriate densities.
The municipality has published a map of licensed STAs in The County:


All STA operators are required to obtain a licence. Learn about applying for a licence.

The municipality will accept short-term accommodation licence applications by email at or mail (County of Prince Edward Building Department, 332 Picton Main Street, Picton, ON, K0K 2T0.

Frequently Asked Questions about STA Regulations

The municipality took a balanced, made-in-the-County approach to regulating short-term accommodations. The regulations aim to protect the character, amenities and quality of existing residential neighborhoods. At the same time, the municipality recognizes the important role short-term accommodations play in the local tourist economy. The regulations will create a level playing field for all STA operators and enhance consumer protection.

The regulations include amendments to the Official Plan and the Comprehensive Zoning By-law, passed by Council on October 9, 2018. In addition, Council will consider in the first quarter of 2019 a licensing by-law to address operating standards, licence transferability, administration, and enforcement.

The zoning by-law amendment limits the total number of STAs to a maximum density of 15% of existing dwelling units:

  • As measured within a 120 metre radius in settlement areas on full services;
  • In the Hamlet/Residential Zone, a 220-metre radius;
  • In other zones/areas, a 500-metre radius.

Maximum densities do not apply to STAs that are also used as principal residences (e.g. bed and breakfasts). 

Under the official plan, a settlement area is an area of land designated as a hamlet (e.g. Carrying Place, Consecon, Milford), village (e.g. Bloomfield, Rossmore) or urban area (e.g. Picton or Wellington).

Generally, any existing STAs that were in operation prior to the passing of the Zoning By-Law will be considered a legal non-conforming use and “grandfathered,” even if they do not comply with the provisions of the new zoning by-law. For example, in areas where the new maximum densities for STAs are exceeded, those STAs that were in existence prior to the new by-law are grandfathered and can continue to operate, whereas a new STA would not be permitted in those areas.

If the legal non-conforming status of a property were in question, an owner would need to provide proof that he/she were operating as an STA prior to the by-law being passed (records of rentals, proof of income, etc.).

A short-term accommodation is defined as a dwelling or dwelling unit, or any portion of it, that is rented with the intention of financial compensation for any portion of a period of less than 30 days and includes a ‘bed and breakfast establishment,’ but does not include a motel, hotel, hospital, or other short-term accommodation where there is no financial consideration or payment exchanged.

The municipality recognizes:

  • Traditional bed and breakfast establishments, where the owner lives on site
  • Partial or whole dwelling units where the owner’s principal residence is on the same property
  • Partial or whole dwelling units where the owner’s principal residence is elsewhere
  • On-farm tourist homes

Short-term accommodation use is permitted in the following zones:

  • In the Urban Residential zones (R1, R2, R3), Hamlet Residential (HR) zone, or Limited Service Residential (LSR) zone, in accordance with the provisions of the STA zoning by-law amendment and the requirements of the specific zone.
  • In the Core Commercial, General Commercial (CG), Highway Commercial (CH), and Tourist Commercial zones within an existing or permitted dwelling unit.
  • On lots existing as of October 9, 2018 and zoned the Rural Residential zones or within an existing bed and breakfast establishment or an existing residence used whole or in part as a principal residence.
  • In the Rural 1, Rural 2 or Rural 3 zones, accessory and ancillary to a bona fide operating farm as an exception in support of on-farm diversified uses.

More Information

Click on the links below for more specific information if you are a:

Contact Us

If you require more information or have specific questions regarding your property or situation, contact Mike Kelly, Supervisor of By-Law Enforcement, at 613.476.2148 ext. 2042 or email


Extensive research and public consultation over the course of two years informed the Official Plan and the Comprehensive Zoning By-law amendments approved by Council on October 9, 2018.

The municipality and its consultants hosted several public meetings, conducted surveys, interview different agencies, drafted discussion papers, and reviewed best practices across different jurisdictions.