Prince Edward County Municipal Services


Find the info you need on relocating, starting or expanding your business in Prince Edward County.


Explore what Prince Edward County has to offer for residents and visitors alike.



Current STA Owners & Operators

The success of internet-based short-term accommodation rental services has opened opportunities for home owners to promote vacation stays on their premises. In combination with a constrained supply of roofed accommodations in The County, short-term accommodation rentals are increasingly popular.

Below you will find more information about the new short-term accommodation regulations and how they might impact your operation.

Legal Status

Short-term accommodations that existed before October 9, 2018, including those with five or more bedrooms, are considered legal non-conforming. Under this “grandfathering” provision, Official Plan and Comprehensive Zoning By-law amendments generally apply to new STAs only.


All STA operators are required to obtain a licence from the municipality. Visit the licensing page for more information about applying for a licence.

Please note: grandfathered STAs must comply with the operational requirements in the STA licensing by-law, the property standards by-law, the administrative penalities by-law, and the fees and charges by-law.

Rooms & Occupancy

  • STAs cannot contain more than four guest rooms with a total maximum occupancy of eight people.
  • With bed and breakfast establishments or other owner-occupied (primary residence) STAs, the maximum occupancy is 10 people.
  • Children under 10 years of age do not count towards the maximum occupancy.
  • STAs with five or more guest rooms may be permitted in designated settlement areas or in the Shore Land Designation with a site-specific zoning by-law amendment.

Note: The above regulations apply only to new STAs
(those created after October 9, 2018).

Fire Safety

  • Only property owners/residents can purchase burn permits for outdoor burning in Prince Edward County (fire pits etc.) STA owners/operators are responsible for obtaining a burn permit for their property and explaining the permit system to guests. 
  • If the Fire Department is required to attend to two or more false fire alarms/faulty equipment calls in a twelve-month period at the same property, the owner will be fined as per the Fees & Charges by-law.


  • STA owners/operators must provide one additional off-street parking space per guest room or 0.5 spaces per guest, whichever is greater, in addition to the required spaces for the dwelling.
  • Parking spaces must be off-street and on the same lot as the STA.
  • A single vehicle can be parked on the street except during the winter season. An owner/operator can count the on-street parking space toward the number of parking spaces he/she is required to provide.

Landscape Buffering

  • Landscape buffering is required if the STA abuts a residential zone and is within 15 metres of a single-detached dwelling unit.
  • Buffering must be a privacy fence or solid landscaped screen five feet in height and erected or installed along the rear and interior side yard.

Frequently Asked Questions

Generally, any existing STAs that were in operation prior to the passing of the Zoning By-Law will be considered a legal non-conforming use and grandfathered, even if they do not comply with the provisions of the new zoning by-law. For example, in areas where the new maximum densities for STAs are exceeded, those STAs that were in existence prior to the new by-law are grandfathered and can continue to operate, whereas a new STA would not be permitted in those areas.

If the legal non-conforming status of a property were in question, an owner would need to provide proof that he/she were operating as an STA prior to the by-law being passed (records of rentals, proof of income, etc.).

All short-term accommodation (STA) operators are required to obtain a license. License applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis.

Click here for more information about licensing.

The legal non-conforming or “grandfathered” status stays with the property even if it is sold, provided there is no change in primary use of the property. However, a new owner would still need to obtain a licence.

Contact Us

If you require more information or have specific questions regarding your property or situation, please call 613.476.2148 ext. 2050 or 613.962.9108 ext. 2050 or email