Marriage Licence & Civil Marriage Ceremonies
The Clerk’s Office issues Marriage Licences to couples who are getting married in Ontario. A Marriage Licence is valid for 90 days from the date it is issued.
Civil marriage ceremonies can also be booked and performed by the Municipal Clerk, or delegate.
How to Apply
- Complete the Marriage Licence Application Form.
- Bring the completed form, an original or certified copy of divorce documents, if applicable, and two pieces of valid government issued identification to the Clerk’s Office. Only one applicant is required to obtain a marriage licence, as long as two pieces of valid identification are provided for both parties. One piece of identification for each party must include your photo.
Examples of acceptable identification include a driver’s licence, passport, birth certificate or change of name certificate, record of immigrant landing, Canadian citizenship card, or Ontario photo card.
- Payment of $130.00 for marriage licence fees (cash or debit).
More information on applying for a marriage licence is provided by Service Ontario.
Before You Get Married
Check that the person performing your marriage is an authorized official. A marriage can be performed by a Religious Official, Ontario Municipal Clerk or delegate, Judge, or Justice of the Peace.
For more information on who can perform a marriage, read the Service Ontario Marriage Notice.
Civil Marriage Ceremonies
Civil marriage ceremonies can be performed at Shire Hall in Council Chambers or outdoors in the parkette beside the building, between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
How to Book a Ceremony
- Contact the Clerk’s at Clerk’s Office at email@example.com or call 613.476.2148 ext. 1020 to arrange a pre-ceremony consultation.
- Fill out a Civil Marriage Ceremony Booking Form and bring it to the pre-ceremony consultation.
- Attend the pre-ceremony consultation to go over all necessary arrangements for your special day, including ceremony scripts, vows, and other custom elements.
Two witnesses are required and should both be over the age of fourteen. If you are unable to provide your own witnesses, The County can provide witnesses for you. Please arrange this at the pre-ceremony consultation.
- Payment of $300.00 for civil ceremony fees (cash or debit). Please note that this fee does not include the marriage licence fee of $130.00.