Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) has declared a facility-wide outbreak of COVID-19 at H.J. McFarland Memorial Home.
The residents who have tested positive are exhibiting mild symptoms. Their families will continue to receive regular updates from staff at H.J. McFarland Memorial Home. For confidentiality reasons, H.J. McFarland Memorial Home cannot share any identifiable or additional information about the positive cases.
Staff at the Home continue to monitor residents and follow the direction of HPEPH and provincial COVID-19 guidance. To help limit the spread of infection, the Home has implemented several additional safety measures, including:
- H.J. McFarland is closed to admissions.
- General visitors are temporarily prohibited. Residents or their substitute decision-maker must identify one designated caregiver or support worker who is permitted to visit for the duration of the outbreak.
- Visitors must conduct a rapid antigen test and get a negative test result before they may enter the Home, and they must wear appropriate personal protective equipment for the duration of their visit.
- All staff members working at the Home and the residents are being tested and monitored for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- Enhanced housekeeping measures are in place, including extra cleaning of all high-touch surfaces and common areas.
- All general visitors, support workers, and essential caregivers must participate in on-site COVID-19 surveillance testing regardless of vaccination status.
- Status updates on the outbreak will be sent directly to the families of residents. In addition, updates will be shared on the County’s website and social media channels, Facebook and Twitter.