Heritage Advisory Committee
The mandate of PEHAC is to fulfill its advisory role by providing advice, assistance and recommendations to Council and staff pertaining to matters relating to the administration of Part IV and Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990 within Prince Edward County.
The Prince Edward Heritage Advisory Committee (PEHAC) undertakes the responsibilities of a municipal heritage advisory committee as defined under section 28 of the Act and other such matters as Council or the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) may specify.
The Committee will advise Council on heritage matters, educate the public, and promote heritage in the community.
The goals and purpose of the Heritage Advisory Committee are to:
- Review all development applications referred to it by Council and/or staff and provide input as to the effect that such applications may have on existing designated or listed Heritage Properties, Cultural Heritage Landscapes or the Heritage Conservation District(s).
- Review application for the Heritage Grant program and recommend recipients to Council.
- Provide input to staff on heritage policy matters when requested.
- Identify and recommend to Council for listing or designation those buildings, properties or cultural landscapes that meet the criteria for listing or designation pursuant to the Act.
- Provide education to the community concerning heritage conservation practices and promote interest and involvement in heritage conservation through periodic publications, presentations, maps, books, recognition programs and liaising with related agencies.
- Conduct research, carry out surveys, inspect properties and prepare documentation, as necessary, to assist Council to fulfill its obligation under the Act.
- Receive, assess, research, review and recommend to Council the approval or denial of all applications by property owners requesting listing, designation, de-listing or de-designation of their buildings, properties or cultural landscape under Part IV of the Act.
- When requested, provide advice to Council on Heritage Conservation District study(s), on Heritage Conservation District Plan(s).
- When requested provide advice to Council respecting the approval or disapproval of building permit applications affecting properties designated under Part IV of the Act or contained within a Heritage Conservation District under Part V of the Act.
- Assist with heritage grant application information and support when requested.
- Two (2) members of Council.
- A minimum of five (5) and a maximum of eight (8) public representatives appointed by Council, all of whom have demonstrated interest or expertise in local heritage conservation.
- Mayor is an ex officio member of the committee.
- Mayor Steve Ferguson
- Councillor John Hirsch
- Councillor Ernie Margetson
- Kenneth Dewar (Chair)
- Liz Driver
- Gina Heinbockel-Bolik
- Thomas Harrison
- Shirley Lewchuk
- Peter Lockyer
- Brendan O’Connor
- Don Payne
The Heritage Advisory Committee shall meet monthly, and more frequently at the discretion of the Chair.
The meeting, agenda, and minutes will be available to the public, on the municipal website. Members of the public may participate electronically as requested, in accordance with the Procedural By-Law.
If you have any questions about the Heritage Advisory Committee, contact the Clerk’s Office at email@example.com or call 613.476.2148 ext. 1020.